Saturday, December 27, 2008

Cedar Chests


The History of Cedar Chests

A family tradition has existed for centuries, at least as far as I am aware.
Now I cannot say for sure how long, can you?

All I know is that my family has had the tradition of filling a cedar chest for generations. Mom had one that she shared with Dad. My grandparents on both sides had a cedar chest, or trunk, or treasure chest of some kind. Other relatives kept a "Locked Box" of some sort that kept treasures safe.


Did you parents and grandparents keep a treasure chest, or a cedar chest, or an old trunk or any kind of locked box filled with keepsakes and treasures?

If you send a photo and a brief description of the box along with a little story, I will publish your "treasure chest story" on this blog. Email me at themidnightwriter1@gmail.com. A link to a blog or website of your choice will be posted with the story.

Can't write very well?

Then let me write the story.

Give me some information and a photo. I'll ask the questions to bring out the story and off we go. Your treasure chest will be bared to the world.


Back to the cedar chest and its history.

Do you know what a cedar chest looks like?

Obviously, the chests are made from cedar, as shown by their given name. Cedar is a special type of wood that resists rotting and vermin. There was no need to use the ever stenching moth balls that so many old timers used with cedar. It is the same scent that you smell in the hampster cage, for those of you who have had little rodent pets.




No comments: